“The Shazam of album covers” is here!
The new app called Record Player, designed with Glitch by Patrick Weaver, automatically recognizes album artwork and immediately directs you to the album on Spotify. Record Player is the perfect shopping accessory to have while rummaging the crates because vinyl enthusiasts can now easily preview any album that catches their eye without having to rely on a blind buy. The app utilizes Google Cloud Vision API and the Spotify API to make the magic happen. Pretty sweet!
Thanks in part to events like Record Store Day and the current availability of new releases, vinyl has been booming. Paste reports that vinyl LP sales have reached a record high, accounting for 14 percent of all U.S. physical album sales in 2017, an 11 percent increase from 2016 (which is honestly pretty crazy if you think about it).
Click here to check out the Record Player app and watch a video on how it works.
In related news, these were the top best-selling vinyl LPs of 2017 in the U.S. according to Nielsen Music. The classics still reign.
01. The Beatles, Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band
02. The Beatles, Abbey Road
03. Soundtrack, Guardians of the Galaxy: Awesome Mix Vol. 1
04. Ed Sheeran, ÷ (Divide)
05. Amy Winehouse, Back to Black
06. Prince and the Revolution, Purple Rain (Soundtrack)
07. Bob Marley and The Wailers, Legend: The Best Of…
08. Pink Floyd, The Dark Side of the Moon
09. Soundtrack, La La Land
10. Michael Jackson, Thriller